Urology/Over active bladder with frequent UTIs

Question
Hi, I have had the above for over 20 years and the OAB seems to be getting worse. I'm 63 and I am not on any medications and I'm reluctant to try anything b/c of side effects. In 2007 I was given low dose  nitrofuran as a preventitive for UTIs and developed drug induced hepatitis b/c of an allergy.  My Urologist has recommended Botox but I am afraid b/c I have read that it can cause urine retention and then you need to Catheriize yourself. There is no way I could do this. How often does this occur?  Thank you for you time. Lynn

Answer
Lynn:

Urinary retention from botox is relatively rare, but you could also try Tibial Nerve Stimulation or Interstim before resorting to the botox.  And even if you did end up with retention, the botox will eventually wear off so the result is not permanent.

Look, you drive a car, right?  Well, you could die in a car accident any time you drive.  It's possible but unlikely.  Same with the botox.  You can always ask your urologist to be extra careful in the dosage administration of the drug.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD