Urology/Over active bladder with frequent UTIs

Hi, I have had the above for over 20 years and the OAB seems to be getting worse. I'm 63 and I am not on any medications and I'm reluctant to try anything b/c of side effects. In 2007 I was given low dose  nitrofuran as a preventitive for UTIs and developed drug induced hepatitis b/c of an allergy.  My Urologist has recommended Botox but I am afraid b/c I have read that it can cause urine retention and then you need to Catheriize yourself. There is no way I could do this. How often does this occur?  Thank you for you time. Lynn

Urinary retention from botox is relatively rare, but you could also try Tibial Nerve Stimulation or Interstim before resorting to the botox.  And even if you did end up with retention, the botox will eventually wear off so the result is not permanent.

Look, you drive a car, right?  Well, you could die in a car accident any time you drive.  It's possible but unlikely.  Same with the botox.  You can always ask your urologist to be extra careful in the dosage administration of the drug.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute