Urology/bleed in penis

Question
I start after urine to bleed from my penis. I am diabetic and not been in a good care recently.  so i start with dry mouth, urine frequently  .. but now this happen and when i urine is painful . just happen 24 hours ago. What should i do

Answer
Eduardo, although red discoloration of the urine is usually due to blood, it may also occur from the excretion of some pigments in the foods we eat.  The most common are from beets, rhubarb, & blackberries.  Certain medications & chronic toxicity from lead or mercury may produce red urine as well.

There are many possible causes for blood in the urine (hematuria).  The origin of the bleeding can come from the upper (kidneys or ureters) or lower (bladder, prostate, urethra) urinary tract.  Blood seen only under the microscope (microscopic hematuria) is usually of a benign nature whereas gross hematuria is potentially more serious. With gross hematuria, it is important to note the relationship of the bleeding to the urinary stream.  If at the beginning of urination (initial hematuria), the source of the blood is almost always in the urinary canal (urethra).  If at the end of urination (terminal hematuria), the source is usually the prostate gland in men or the bladder neck in men and women.  Bleeding throughout the entire stream (total hematuria) is due to bleeding that is initiated in the urinary bladder or upper urinary tract (kidneys and/or ureters).  As your bleeding occurred at the end of urination or after you finished urinating, the bleeding is most likely from the prostate gland.  Since you also have frequency and burning, the most likely cause is an infection of the prostate gland.  This is a common and fortunately, not a serious condition.

You need to be seen by a doctor and I would strongly recommend that he be a urologist as there are other causes for gross bleeding such as  infection, tumors, stones, and trauma (injury).  In order to look for the cause, it is necessary to consult a urologist.  A history, physical examination, urine cytology, and other laboratory tests are done.   Visualization of the kidneys by imaging studies (ie IVP, ultrasound, CT or MRI) and examination of the lower urinary tract with a cystoscope are usually required.  

Good luck.  

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.