Urology/frequent urination

I was given estrogen as a treatment for my frequent urination and read online and on the instructions that come in the package that estrogen can cause cancer.  I would like to hear your opinion on this.

We usually give estrogen treatment for vaginal atrophy with a cream that has little absorption so the cancer risk is relatively minimal. If being taken as a pill, there is an increased risk of cancer but there are pros and cons.  If you are post-menopausal, the increased cancer risk is relatively small expecially if the benefits are considerable.  This is an area that you should discuss with your GYN physician.

We urologists will sometimes use the cream form of estrogen cream to help with pelvic and urinary problems, but we don't usually give estrogen pills for urinary frequency.  We check for diabetes and infection, make sure the bladder is emptying and the patient is not on excessive caffeine intake.  Only then do we typically try one fo the OAB pills like ditropan, detrol, vesicare, etc.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute