Urology/Low-T after procedure

Do you know of any research relating Primary Hypogonadism after Vasectomy/Bilateral Hydrocele release and repair/Vasricocele repair?

In Sept 2010 I had all three of the above done in one surgery. Thereafter, I experienced a gradual onset of symptoms and in Dec 2013 I was dx with Low-T. My T level was in the 140's. I was 36yo at the time of Sx and had no s/s prior to the procedure.

I now know that Trauma to the testicles is a cause of Low-T. Could the trauma of the sx be the cause?

I have since seeked out treatment from an Endocrinologist who has ruled out a secondary cause.
Thank you,

While vasectomy is generally considered safe as far as lowering testosterone levels, there are a few reports of this.  Theoretically, the surgery is done nowhere near the actual blood supply to the testicle.  There is a secondary artery supply that is part of the vas, so if there is already existing some compromise to the main testicular artery, doing the vasectomy would essentially be cutting off the only alternative artery and this could result in some testicular dysfunction such as low testosterone.  Having said that, it is likely to be quite rare as both sides would have to be affected, but it's at least possible.

Surgery is not considered "trauma" in the traditional sense as surgical injury is controlled and specifically designed not to cause any additional injury beyond what is necessary for the surgery.

It makes little difference at this point.  Even if the surgery was the cause, there is no way to reverse it.  If you have symptomatic low testosterone, then you will probably need a supplement.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute