Despite being a young man of 30, it is the case that I cannot masturbate more than once a day without unwanted symptoms (mainly pain.) What causes the pain? The pain goes away after a day or so.

So why can't I do it more than once a day like other men? And why does it take me so long to recharge? It takes at least 2 days before I feel the urge and for any pain to diminish before I can go again.

Generally I can only do it about once every 3 days or so. Now if you compare that with pornographic actors some of whom are in their 40's, they are somehow able to do it multiple times a day, (and with multiple women incidentally). How can that be possible? Even disregarding those actors, men often report that they can go for many hours and many times in succession. Naturally I feel disheartened.

Is the situation any different for women? Can they masturbate as many times as they like without any pain or lessening in desire?

There is no simple or obvious answer to why you are having pain, but one potential cause could be prostatitis.  This might also account for the other symptoms you mentioned.  

Most men and women can masturbate frequently without pain.  Pain with masturbation is not normal and should be checked by your local physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute