Urology/no morning erections and ED

Hey Dr.
     Ive been plagued with erection problems my entire life some times it will work sometimes it wont. Even when I sit  wop masturbating I will lose it fairly quickly,  BUT what worries me the most is my lack of morning wood. .. there are a few times where I will wake up in the middle of the night or from a dream with a hard erection that fades fast... im 23 by the way... what the hell is wrong with me?

Morning erections are over-rated.  They only indicate that at the time you woke up, you were in REM sleep and that most likely the erections are physically OK.  Lack of morning erections does not necessarily mean anything is wrong since it may only indicate that you were in a different sleep stage just prior to waking.  The fact that your problem is more or less intermittent from your description suggests that your problem may be psychological or anxiety related.  You may want to check with your local physician just to make sure.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute