Urology/no morning erections and ED

Question
Hey Dr.

Ive been plagued with erection problems my entire life some times it will work sometimes it wont. Even when I sit  wop masturbating I will lose it fairly quickly,  BUT what worries me the most is my lack of morning wood. .. there are a few times where I will wake up in the middle of the night or from a dream with a hard erection that fades fast... im 23 by the way... what the hell is wrong with me?

Answer
Devin:

Morning erections are over-rated.  They only indicate that at the time you woke up, you were in REM sleep and that most likely the erections are physically OK.  Lack of morning erections does not necessarily mean anything is wrong since it may only indicate that you were in a different sleep stage just prior to waking.  The fact that your problem is more or less intermittent from your description suggests that your problem may be psychological or anxiety related.  You may want to check with your local physician just to make sure.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD