Urology/Mysterious loss of erection

Dear Dr. Leslie,

I am a 25 year old male curious about an issue that I recently have experienced that I believe may be psychological in nature.

I have night and morning erections and have never experienced a issue getting an erection or maintaining it during sex until last month with a new partner. I was, for some reason, especially concerned with performing well and then I lost my erection during coitus. This led me to get a bit down on myself.

Any ideas for what is going on with this? Any insight you can shed on internal mental processes and their effect on physiological performance would be greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts on how to prevent this?

My deepest thanks for providing this service.

From your description, the problem is almost certainly psychological and related to anxiety issues.  Since this is a psychological rather than a physical issue, I would suggest you direct this question to a mental health professional and seek such help yourself.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute