Urology/Do smaller testicles mean lower T

I have smaller than average testicles. My testosterone was 438 ng which is on the lower side. I am wondering do smaller testicles mean lower testosterone?  Also if i smoked marijuana from 18-about 21 regularly could that have a permanent effect on my testosterone or erections as an adult. I have morning and night time erections still, I am 27 and haven't touched marijuana for about 5 years. I am thin and lanky  but athletic and a bit underweight for my height.

ANSWER: Randy:

Slighlty small testicles do not necessarily mean any problem with testosterone, erection ability or fertility.  Smoking marijuana is known to have an effect, but this is usually considered transitory and not necessarily permanent.  If you're not having any problem with erections, then you probably won't.

Ok. They are about the size of grapes. Are there any studies that prove marijuana lowers testosterone? I'm just worried that by smoking marijuana in the past that I permanently made my testosterone lower than it would have been otherwise . What determines the testosterone level ?

ANSWER: Randy:

There are some studies showing lowering of testosterone with marijuana, such as the one at the end of this message.

Testes the size of grapes are definitely smaller than normal.  This is probably not due to marijuana use but to something else such as vascular blockage, injury, or mumps infection.

Testosterone levels are determined by the level of pituitary hormone LH and by the health and number of the leydig cells in the testicle.  If one or the other are abnormal for some reason, the hormone levels will be low.

Ok.  My testicles have always been smaller and haven't had any issues .  My penis is regular or even above average size.. And a doctor said I had good blood flow in the area . Should I worry

Worry, no, but I'd recommend getting a testosterone level and possibly a semen analysis.  That way you know for sure if your fertility and testosterone levels are normal or not.

Normal size for a testicle is 4 cm.  That's considerably larger than a grape!

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute