Urology/Superficial vein

Question
QUESTION: Dr.

Hey, as you know, I've asked other questions before on here. About 5 months ago after a heavy night of sexual activity / masturbation I developed what two urologists say is superficial vein thrombosis. This happened a month after hitting my pubic bone going slowly on a friends motorbike but it wasn't serious as I was able to get a full erection within the hour and there was no bruising or swelling afterwards. And two urologists think the thrombosis isn't related because it occurred a month after this. Since then my erections have been ok and I've still gotten night time / morning erections . Both urologists said that superficial vein thrombosis had virtually no role in erectile function. I'm just wondering how were they able to tell it was superficial vein thrombosis and not deep dorsal vein thrombosis just by looking at it ? And also two doctors have said it can take 6 months to a year or more for it to it to resolve and even then might not . What's your opinion . They said to take baby aspirin , is there any way to help it dissolve faster ? There hasn't been any pain with it .

ANSWER: Ron:

There is no safe way to dissolve it faster; just leave it alone and possibly use the aspirin.  Any general blood thinner or clot dissolver can cause massive or dangerous bleeding for something that will eventually get better by itself?  

I have never heard of deep vein thrombosis of the penis.  As far as I know, it's not a reported clinical entity.

The superficial penile dorsal vein has no known role in erection activity.

QUESTION: Dr.

How would a urologist know the difference between superficial vein thrombosis and sclerosing lymphangitis just by looking at it?  The vein is on the shaft from bottom to about mid shaft . One doctor said it can take 6 months to resolve completely another doc said up to 16 months . But both docs didn't seemed that concerned by it

Answer
Ron:

Sclerosing lymphangitis is a condition that occurs in the lymphatic channels.  Vein thrombosis occurs in veins.  It's not hard for an experienced urologist to tell the difference in most cases, but if there is any doubt an ultrasound can be done.

Superficial dorsal vein thrombosis is also called Mondor's disease so you can look it up on the internet.  Resolution takes anywhere from around 6 weeks to many months.  It's a relatively rare disorder and since it doesn't appear to be dangerous there is very little research going on about it.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD