Hello Doctor,

my name is Gulraiz ,a week ago i had my appendix removed and m on recovery process, i want to know from you that today i have received report of the appendix analysis that was removed. Result was " acute appendicitis with localized peritonitis" what does it mean? is anything serious?? my main concern is of peritonitis i want to ask that it was due to appendix or is there any complication ? plz help i am in tension !

Normally I wouldn't answer a question outside my specialty of Urology, but this one is simple.  A pathology report of acute appendicitis means that the appendix was infected and acutely inflamed which required removal.  Localized peritonitis means that the area immediatelhy around the appendix also showed inflammation.  This is a standard pathology report which is typical of appendicitis.  This is quite common and should not be confused with generalized peritonitis which is a totally different clinical entity.  You do NOT have peritonitis.  If you did, you would still be in the hospital with high fevers and lots of abdominal pain.  If you have further questions, please direct them to the general surgery area or just ask your surgeon.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute