Urology/Appendix

Question
Hello Doctor,

my name is Gulraiz ,a week ago i had my appendix removed and m on recovery process, i want to know from you that today i have received report of the appendix analysis that was removed. Result was " acute appendicitis with localized peritonitis" what does it mean? is anything serious?? my main concern is of peritonitis i want to ask that it was due to appendix or is there any complication ? plz help i am in tension !

Answer
Gulraiz:

Normally I wouldn't answer a question outside my specialty of Urology, but this one is simple.  A pathology report of acute appendicitis means that the appendix was infected and acutely inflamed which required removal.  Localized peritonitis means that the area immediatelhy around the appendix also showed inflammation.  This is a standard pathology report which is typical of appendicitis.  This is quite common and should not be confused with generalized peritonitis which is a totally different clinical entity.  You do NOT have peritonitis.  If you did, you would still be in the hospital with high fevers and lots of abdominal pain.  If you have further questions, please direct them to the general surgery area or just ask your surgeon.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD