QUESTION: I have enlarged prostate .past 2 weeks went every  half-hour and now urinate with week stream.was wondering about bladder cancer.never had blood in urine.if doctor does cystoscopy are chances of finding bladder cancer due to my urinary problems low

You probably have.routine prostate enlargement.  Finding a. bladder cancer would be quite unusual.  You should see your physician.

QUESTION: the internet is full of articles that say frequent urination is red flag for bladder cancer.i thought bladder cancer was rare.what is your opion of frequent urination do to bladder cancer is it quite rare

ANSWER: Frank:

Bladder cancer is not rare.  About 75,000 new cases are discovered every year.  Frequent urination is an extremely uncommon symptom for bladder cancer.  The most common symptom by far is blood in the urine.  For a male patient with frequent urination who is known to have prostate enlargement, the chances of finding a bladder cancer would be the same as for the general population.

QUESTION: as you can see I am extremely upset about the poissibility of finding bladder cancer.i had frequent urination for a month with enlarged prostate.im 80 had psa of 16 but free psa was 35%of getting cancer.at my age it could have been enlargement I don't want biopsy of prostate.are chances of bladder cancer around 4%my physician a urologist wont tell me if my chances of bladder cancer is high.i am having hard time dealing with this and have extreme anxiety.maybe you can calm my fears im going nuts.please be patient

I don't know how many ways I can tell you that the risk of bladder cancer given your symptoms is quite low.  At 80 years, your risk of prostate cancer is far higher although prostate cancer is far less dangerous at 80 than at 60.

You may want to talk to your primary care physician as right now your main problem is this anxiety issue.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute