Urology/Discomfort, pain in urinating and in pennis

Question
I am having these symptoms for more than six years. It gets aggravated during summers.Several rounds of examination have not found any growth or abnormality in prostrate.Antibiotic course have been taken number of times, without much benefit. Currently taking Veltam (4.00 mg) for healthy flow of urine and emptying of bladder.

I have been having constipation and lot of mucus in stool for many years.Everyday I have to attend to toilet for passing stools in the morning several times. After passing stool I feel better. when there is  loose stool (diarrohea) these symptoms temporarily disappear.

Pain may appear and disappear and I am not able to find a trend. While traveling on vacations it disappeared completely. This happened twice.

Answer
Rajeev:

I suspect your problem is more related to the GI tract and bowel function than any actual disorder with the urinary tract.  The stool can put pressure on the prostate and part of the urethra and this apparently is causing your discomfort.  A stool softener might be helpful.

Also, consider treatment for prostatitis as this often is present in such situations as well.

Typical Treatments for Prostatitis Include:
Avoid caffeine which irritates the prostate and bladder.
Hot sitz baths.  Sitting in a very hot tub for 10 minutes really seems to reduce pelvic pain, inflammation and discomfort.  We recommend twice or even three times a day for severe cases or flare-ups, but at least once a day for most prostatitis patients.
Avoid hot spices which tend to irritate the prostate.
Avoid sitting on hard surface; use an inflatable donut to spread the pressure away from the prostate.
Use NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naprosyn (Aleve) to help reduce discomfort and inflammation.
Antibiotics as prescribed by your physician.
Alpha blocker medications such as tamsulosin and alfuzosin will help relax muscle tension in the prostate.
Avoid high potassium foods that some people are sensitive to and which can be irritating.
Less alcohol and smoking.
Use quercetin which is a natural anti-inflammatory herbal supplement that has been shown to help reduce inflammation in the prostate.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD