Urology/Erect penis size

I am 21 years old and I am having some problems with my erect penis. My penis is 3 inches flaccid and 7 inches erect. Now when I was in high school I remember my penis being 7.5 inches when erect. I know that is not a huge difference, however I feel very insecure about it.

I was thinking of many reasons why this could happen. The first reason is because I masturbate to often. I do it about once a day. However I have been masturbating like this since I was 13 years old. I've also gained weight as well. Since high school I have gained about 20 pounds. However I heard that penis shrinks due to the enlarge stomach, but my stomach Is not that big. And finally it could be due to stress. Now that I have been in college my life has been more stressful. So could my penis shrinkage be due do to those three reasons or something else entirely?

Justin, shrinkage of the penis does not occur in young men.  This condition typically occurs in men older than 50-60 years of age. The 0.5 inch difference you notice most likely is due to a small area at the base of the penis that is covered by the pubic fat pad.  (The penis does not really shrink it is just covered over at the base by fat). This is quite common in men especially when they put on extra pounds.  This has nothing at all to do with the frequency of masturbation.  A penis of 7-7.5 inches is larger than the average penis (4-6 inches erect is average) so you have nothing to be insecure about with respect to size.  Stop measuring and enjoy what you have been gifted with.  Good luck.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS