Urology/My Father

Question
Hello Dr. Leslie-
My father is 82 years old and has had a foley catheter for over 20 years. They placed the catheter because he wasn't able to urinate on his own after a stroke. Within the past couple of years he has had constant urine infections but within a year he has gone septic a few times due to the urine infections. Besides the foley he is in good health, and does not have diabetes.  Is there anything we can do , is there an alternative to a foley?
Thank you so much,
Ana Michael.

Answer
Ana:

A foley catheter for 20 years is likely to cause a variety of problems.  He could have stones in the bladder or even in the kidneys and these can be identified by x-rays and treated if necessary.

A suprapubic tube might be a more comfortable and more easily changed catheter option. It's also possible that he could void on his own at this point.  A complete urological evaluation might help determine if this is even remotely possible, but after 20 years it would be a long shot.  Good luck.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD