Urology/Hard, painless bump on penile shaft

Question
Skin stretched
Skin stretched  
Holding penis
Holding penis  
QUESTION: Hello Doctor,

About a week ago I noticed a small, hard, painless bump on my penile shaft. I noticed it while touching my penis. It is not irritating in any way other than it bothers me when I look at it and I worry what it might be.

I have attached photos of it to this question for you reference. It is about 1mm in size, is generally skin colored unless I pull my skin taut or I am erect - then it has what looks like a white head. I thought it was a pimple at first. I also notice what looks like two black dots on it or perhaps they are depressions. It is very hard like a b.b. or a pebble and is attached to the skin. When I move the skin, I can move the bump.

I'm a little bit freaked out... what do you think it is?

ANSWER: James:

I don't give diagnoses from pictures or evaluated test results on this forum. That information should come directly from the physician.  This forum is intended only for general information questions.

With that in mind, the most common cause for a small, hard, nodular lump on the shaft of the penis is a small cyst.  Now have your physician check it out to determine exactly what it is.

QUESTION: With the understanding that you don't give diagnoses from pictures for good reason, does the description I gave or the picture provided seem like molluscum contagiousum or genital warts? From what I've read, the first condition has a pocket which discharges and the second is soft - is that correct? Because it does look like there are two indentations on the nodule, one one each side, but they look like black holes almost.

You can also enlarge the photos for a closer look, I took them with a high-quality camera. Thank you very much for your prompt and informed response, Doctor.

Answer
James:

You are trying to sneak around our "no diagnosis" rule, aren't you?  Genital warts are soft and have a more irregular, rough surface texture.  Molluscum contagiousum can cause small superficial nodules in this area, but they are much more common in children and usually are not solitary.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD