Urology/kidney stones

Question
I have a 6mm kidney stone. I had a CT scan done 4 days ago, the stone showed on the scan that is in the uretha towards the end just before the bladder. I am in extreme pain and it does not seem to be getting any better. I'm drinking tons of water, tried olive oil and lemon juice. Is it possible that this stone is just too big to pass?

Answer
Greta:

It may not be that the stone is too big to pass but that your ureter is too narrow. Most stones 6 mm in size will eventually pass, but that doesn't mean all of them will.  If you continue to have continuing pain, contact your local urologist as you may need to have surgery to eliminate it.

Also ask him about 24 hour urine testing and kidney stone prevention analysis and treatment.

Try to find an old copy of "The Kidney Stones Handbook" by Savitz and Leslie as it will have substantial useful information.  (I'm the "Leslie" who is one of the authors!)

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD