Urology/kidney stones

I have a 6mm kidney stone. I had a CT scan done 4 days ago, the stone showed on the scan that is in the uretha towards the end just before the bladder. I am in extreme pain and it does not seem to be getting any better. I'm drinking tons of water, tried olive oil and lemon juice. Is it possible that this stone is just too big to pass?

It may not be that the stone is too big to pass but that your ureter is too narrow. Most stones 6 mm in size will eventually pass, but that doesn't mean all of them will.  If you continue to have continuing pain, contact your local urologist as you may need to have surgery to eliminate it.

Also ask him about 24 hour urine testing and kidney stone prevention analysis and treatment.

Try to find an old copy of "The Kidney Stones Handbook" by Savitz and Leslie as it will have substantial useful information.  (I'm the "Leslie" who is one of the authors!)

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute