You are here:

Urology/pain in penis


Hi,I have a Sever pain in my penis, especially at the top bits+ Pain my anus .After 6 visit to hospital in last two months the scan showed sign of diverticulitis.I live in UK and can not afford to see a private Doctor .However,each time in hospital they sent me home with some pain killer.The result of blood test was fine,also the result of urine test was fine.I would be very grateful if you can direct me to what else I can do to get this pain away.I only take paracetamol 500mg .Thank you


We don't have a clear diagnosis yet.  I suspect you may have either a pelvic abscess or prostatitis.  You will need to see a physician for a clear diagnosis before any correct treatment can be given.  Diverticulitis does not typically cause pain in the penis.

For now, try sitting in a hot tub for 10 minutes and do this several times a day.  This often helps pain in this area but it's not a cure.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.