Urology/Painful and swelling penis

I am uncircumcised male, 25 years old, sexually active with the same partner for more than 2 years. About a month ago I noticed some mild swelling and pain along the length of my penis on the left side, from the root to the head, and the vein was visible (a bit popped up) both when it was erect or not. To the touch it was a bit rough. After a while it moved from the left to the right side with the same symptoms. I stopped sexual activity the first time I noticed this, but it didn't have much of an impact to it improving.

Couple of days ago, it was painful during sexual intercourse and after a few hours the outer skin got swollen pretty much, especially around the head, no lumps or anything. It was also more sensitive and painful to the touch as it was rubbing against my clothes. The next day the swell became smaller, but I also took Rapten-K ( since I read that it might help swelling and pain. Today the condition is a bit improved, but it is still there.

I wonder why this is happening and I would be grateful if you could give me some advice.

My best advice is to see a local physician.  I can't determine the nature of your problem from the available information.

Some possibilities include balanitis, paraphimosis or some other type of infection.  Rapten-K is similar to a strong aspirin and acts as an anti-inflammatory which is why it is helping, but if there is an infection it may not be enough.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute