Urology/semen at the end of urine

Question
QUESTION: I am 24 years old. Recently i have not ejaculated for about 3 weeks. Few days ago, when i urinate, after the last drop of urine, there is a tingling sensation at the base of my penis as well as in the pubic area with a strong sensation to urinate again. I try to push it out, sometimes only few dros of urine comes out but sometimes nothing coming out.

After several days having the similar symptoms, today i rush again into the toilet because of the same feeling (tingling at the base of penis & the pubic area, and urge to urinate), i push and strain as hard as i could, and there is oozing of few drops of semen. It is whitish yellow as it is already mixed with urine but i am sure that it is semen.

Why i am having this? Do i need to see urologist or take any medication? What is the solution and how to prevent this from occuring again. Thank you.

ANSWER: Oitayn:

The fluid is not semen; it's just prostatic secretions.  Since these secretions normally go into the semen, it looks like semen but it's not.

The tingling at the base of the penis could just be prostatitis.  If this continues, you may want to have it checked by your local physician.

QUESTION: What is the causes of prostatitis? Is that mean i have been exposed to any bacterial infection? I think that i pay attention of the hygeine of my genital area, so what is the possible route of infection, so that i know the prevention. Thanks.

Answer
Oitayn:

Causes of prostatitis include infection, inflammation, bacteria, pelvic muscle spasm, interstitial cystitis, non-specific urethritis, etc.  In short, there are too many possible causes to list.  In most cases, no particular exposure to any known bacterial source is identified.

One effective treatment for prostatitis includes hot sitz baths.  Also try avoiding caffeine and hot spicy foods.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD