Urology/semen at the end of urine

QUESTION: I am 24 years old. Recently i have not ejaculated for about 3 weeks. Few days ago, when i urinate, after the last drop of urine, there is a tingling sensation at the base of my penis as well as in the pubic area with a strong sensation to urinate again. I try to push it out, sometimes only few dros of urine comes out but sometimes nothing coming out.

After several days having the similar symptoms, today i rush again into the toilet because of the same feeling (tingling at the base of penis & the pubic area, and urge to urinate), i push and strain as hard as i could, and there is oozing of few drops of semen. It is whitish yellow as it is already mixed with urine but i am sure that it is semen.

Why i am having this? Do i need to see urologist or take any medication? What is the solution and how to prevent this from occuring again. Thank you.

ANSWER: Oitayn:

The fluid is not semen; it's just prostatic secretions.  Since these secretions normally go into the semen, it looks like semen but it's not.

The tingling at the base of the penis could just be prostatitis.  If this continues, you may want to have it checked by your local physician.

QUESTION: What is the causes of prostatitis? Is that mean i have been exposed to any bacterial infection? I think that i pay attention of the hygeine of my genital area, so what is the possible route of infection, so that i know the prevention. Thanks.

Causes of prostatitis include infection, inflammation, bacteria, pelvic muscle spasm, interstitial cystitis, non-specific urethritis, etc.  In short, there are too many possible causes to list.  In most cases, no particular exposure to any known bacterial source is identified.

One effective treatment for prostatitis includes hot sitz baths.  Also try avoiding caffeine and hot spicy foods.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute