Is there good documentation on how much feeling a guy's penis should feel throughout their life? I'm 33 and my testicles are cold on the outside most of the time and I don't feel much sensation from them. They used to feel warm when I was younger. And my penis doesn't feel hardly as much either anymore. When younger it was hard to keep it down and despite having nearly as many fantasies as when younger it is tough to get hard unless a woman is helping me. Is this normal? Shouldn't I still be as sensitive at my relatively young age? What is normal?

There is limited testing done for sensation in the genitals.  We don't typically test the scrotum at all, and there is only limited testing available for the penis.  At your age, it should not be difficult to get hard and this suggests a possible problem.  There is no way to easily measure the sensitivity of the penis which makes it hard to determine if yours is "normal" or not, but it sounds like it could be diminished.  You should check with your regular physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute