Urology/swollen kidney

Question
QUESTION: dr leslie,for the past 2 weeks I have gone from urination every hour to  small amounts of urine produced 3 8oz of  glasses about 3  a cups a day.doc dead ultrasound of  kidneys  found one kidney    swollen.no mass.can it came swollen because of urine problems/is cancer of kidney low on the probably  list from enlared kidney.other causes of one swollen kidney.thanks

ANSWER: Frank:

"Swollen" when used to describe the kidney is non-specific.  It could be a dilated collecting system or hydronephrosis which means blockage to the urinary flow somewhere downstream such as in the bladder or from the prostate; enlargement which could just be due to the fact that there is only a single kidney so it tends to be larger, or signs of inflammation or infection.  The term "swollen" does not distinguish between these possibilities.  Cancer is not likely to be the cause of a "swollen" kidney, but without more information this cannot be clarified further.

WIth such problems, you should certainly question your physician about what is going on and what steps are needed to identify the problem and alleviate it as well as treat your urinary symptoms.

QUESTION: I have problem with not urinating more then 3 cups of urine a day.ewak dribbling stream.how many days can I go on like this.er just puts in catherer then sends me home.till they do ct scan can I go awhile with 3 cups of urine or is it dangerous

Answer
Frank:

3 cups of urine would be about 700 cc's of urine per day which would be a dangerously low urine output.  A dribbling stream suggests prostate problems and incomplete bladder emptying.  It's impossible to determine how long you can tolerate this before there is permanent damage to your health.  You need to question your physician about what is going on and a possible referral to a urologist or other specialist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD