QUESTION: I have been going to bathroom to   urineate every half-hour for a urologist will give n-me cyscopsy.can going that often irritate the bladder and make you this primary reason for frequent urination.prostate cause this

ANSWER: Frank:

Urination every 30 minutes is clearly abnormal.  A cystoscopy is a reasonable way to check things out.  Frequent urination is not going to cause bladder irritation, but bladder irritation can cause frequent urination.  Bleeding is something else and may be related.

It is not possible to determine the cause for your frequent urination based on the limited information presented, but, in general, causes for frequent urination in men include prostate enlargement, prostatitis, urinary tract infection, bladder overactivity, high caffeine intake, urinary retention, and incomplete emptying among others.

QUESTION: dr leslie,had cyscopy of prostrate.urologist said  kidneys  fine butbut enlarged prostate any thing but major surgery to help enlarged prostate bladder fine.all he offered  was major suggery turp no medicines .he was no cousin had transurethral microwave tumt done in office helped him.i have a-fib and possible problems with anthesia.can I get treatment with medicines or is microwave (tumt)a good option done in doctors office withour anthesia

I am not a big fan of the microwave therapy as I see lots of failures.  TURP is an excellent procedure and still gives the best results.  We usually give at least a trial of medication before resorting to surgery unless there is some compelling or significant reason why.

Atrial fibrillation is a common problem and we frequently do surgery on patients with that.  Anesthesia can be either a general or a spinal for TURP surgery so it can suit most patients.

If you are still uncertain, get another opinion from a different urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute