Urology/ED: total erection only by contracting the perineum

Question
Hello there,

First of all, I m not a native english speaker so please, forgive my mistakes. I ve been suffering from partial erectil dysfunction for several months, but it s now mending and my erections are getting better (basically by stoping pornography and masturbation.).

I realise now that even though I can get erections hard enough to engage into intercourse, my erections are usually not at their maximum.

My glans, the tip of my penis would usually be as wide and thick as the rest of my penis while with a maximum erection, by contracting the perineum, my glans is wider and thicker than my penis which is also thicker. I only manage to get such an erection by contracting the perineum or when I m really excited, and it doesn't last.

As I ve experienced erectil dysfunction, I m wondering:

_ am I already having a maximum erection, and contracting the perineum only enhance it, but you can't keep it up for you can't keep up contracting the perineum all time long ? I mean, are all healthy men having a maximum erection that they can enhance for a few seconds by contracting the perineum ?

_ Or am I experiencing a problem with my perineum, which for a reason to determine, is not able to bulge normally to it s full extent without me purposly contracting it ?

I hope my descriptions and my message was clear enough. Thank you for your help and advice.

Have a nice day !

Answer
Nemo:

While your effort to "contract the perineum" is helping, this is not usual or common.  If the erections are sufficient for intercourse, then no additional treatment is needed.  If not, then therapy can be used.  

To answer your question, it is not common or usual to require contractions of the perineum to enhance the erection; it should stay rigid by itself without such effort.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD