Urology/laser

Question
dr leslie,im 80 years old and have enlarged prostate,atrial fib and high blood pressure.ny cardiologist is nervous about putting me out with general antiestic.since im the patient cant I insist on shot near spine to block out pain.isnt this less stressfull then having general anthesia.iis there a lot of pain before and after the operation.my  my doctor said I could insist on epdural and be awake.my wife said epidurmal is dangerous if they hit wrong spot on spine you can be  be parylized

Answer
Howard:

All anesthesia carries some risk.  So does crossing the street.  An epidural or spinal anesthetic is a good choice for a high risk patient.  There is the theoretical chance of a spinal problem, but in over 30 years of practice I've never seen or heard of a patient developing paralysis from a spinal anesthetic.  Still, it's theoretically possible.  The best thing for you to do now is talk to an anesthesiologist in the hospital you will be going to and discuss with him the pros and cons of the various anesthesia types so you can do this without the pressure of the need for an immediate decision.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD