Urology/Massive urination

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

Few weeks ago I suddenly started to have sometimes massive urination.

I mean that in 1 urination I have a lot of urine, regardless of the amount of my drinking.

I noticed this happens only when:

1) I take vitamin D

or

2)I eat large Carbohydrate meals

I did blood tests and I have low vitamin D and high glucose.

My doctor don't know why it is happening.

What could be the reason?

Thank you.

ANSWER: Eyal:

If your local physician with lots more information about you doesn't know the problem, it is unlikely we will sort it out.

High glucose can cause increased urinary volume, especially if there is glucose in the urine.  If so, then this should be treated with appropriate diabetes therapy.

Vitamin D is unlikely to have any effect on urination, but carbohydrates can contribute to higher sugar and glucose levels so that is a possibility.

Large volume is not a number.  You need to record that actual amount of urine produced and the timing for one day.  The volume should optimally be recorded in mL.  This way we can objectively know the problem: too much urine production, diabetes or a bladder issue.  If it's a urine production problem, an internist or nephrologist can help.  If it's a bladder issue, consult a urologist.

QUESTION: Hello,

The glucose  isn't that high, so it isn't the problem.

By saying massive urination I mean in 1 urination not over the whole day.

I did say that 1 or 2 cause the problem.

I mean that even if I almost don't drink and eat little meals,
but I take vitamin D, in that day I have massive urination.

Can you think on a reason?

Answer
Eyal:

There is no scientific explanation I am aware of to explain the significant increase in urinary volume from vitamin D.  Vitamin D has an effect on the intestines to increase calcium absorption and has no known direct or indirect effect on urine production.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD