Urology/Moldwin Bladder Instillations

Question
QUESTION: I have been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis. I also have Hashimotos thyroiditis. The Physicians assistant ordered the Moldwin Bladder Instillations. I have been doing a very alkaline diet for the last few years and my symptoms are better, but night time is still very painful for me. How safe are these treatments? I am very sensitive to any kind of medications and I do not take anything. I am wondering if there is a chance I could react to the medications they are putting in the bladder.
Any information would be appreciated!
Thank You,
Pam

ANSWER: Pamela:

Bladder instillations for interstitial cystitis are quite effective and practical.  They are extremely safe and most patients have no problems with them.  However, there is always a chance of some dysuria or other reaction, but since we have limited effective treatments for IC, your choices are limited. If oral meds and diet are not sufficient, then a trial of a bladder cocktail is quite reasonable.

QUESTION: How long does the dysuria usually go on? Is just for that day or can it go on for several days or weeks?
Thank You!
Pam

Answer
Pam:

The length and severity of symptom relief is impossible to predict in these situations and can be quite variable.  It depends on the exact nature and severity of the problem as well as the treatment.  Give the instillations a reasonable time to help and talk to your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD