Urology/Moldwin Bladder Instillations

QUESTION: I have been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis. I also have Hashimotos thyroiditis. The Physicians assistant ordered the Moldwin Bladder Instillations. I have been doing a very alkaline diet for the last few years and my symptoms are better, but night time is still very painful for me. How safe are these treatments? I am very sensitive to any kind of medications and I do not take anything. I am wondering if there is a chance I could react to the medications they are putting in the bladder.
Any information would be appreciated!
Thank You,

ANSWER: Pamela:

Bladder instillations for interstitial cystitis are quite effective and practical.  They are extremely safe and most patients have no problems with them.  However, there is always a chance of some dysuria or other reaction, but since we have limited effective treatments for IC, your choices are limited. If oral meds and diet are not sufficient, then a trial of a bladder cocktail is quite reasonable.

QUESTION: How long does the dysuria usually go on? Is just for that day or can it go on for several days or weeks?
Thank You!

The length and severity of symptom relief is impossible to predict in these situations and can be quite variable.  It depends on the exact nature and severity of the problem as well as the treatment.  Give the instillations a reasonable time to help and talk to your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute