I am a 53 year old female.  Perfect health, regular exerciser, perfect weight.  One day, a year ago, I noticed my urine stream changed.  It had always been a "full blast", and suddenly it was a tiny stream.  I waited about a month, then went to my gynecologist.  She found nothing and did an ultrasound.  Found nothing and suggested I do kegel exercises.  Months went by and nothing changed.  I have now noticed another change….there seems to be some pressure (not pain) right around my belly button and just below.  I also now don't "feel" myself urinating.  I know I am doing it and can stop and start, however, it's as if I can't feel it.  I know this sounds ridiculous, but that's the best way I can describe it.  I am an excellent water drinker, and really don't drink anything else.  I have also noticed that the frequency of urinating has gone down dramatically.  I have no swelling in my legs.  I started looking on the internet for answers, but that has only worried me.  Any thoughts???  Thank you

This seems quite odd.  You could have a urethral stricture.  Some women will benefit from a urethral dilation or stretching and this may be worth a try.  If you have a urologist who specializes in women or a urogynecologist, consider a consultation.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute