Urology/Urine Test Result

Question
I am 67 years old .Without any problem I did routine urine test and the result shows
Pus Cells-3 to 4
Epithelial Cells +
Bacteria +
NO OTHER ABNORMALITY.What medicines I should take?Please help

Answer
Kalyan, pus cells (white blood cells) in the urine mean there is something inflaming the lining of the urinary tract.  This can be anywhere from the kidneys to the ureters, bladder, prostate and urethra.  The fact that there is some bacteria in the urine suggests that the most likely cause of the pus cells is a urinary tract infection (UTI).   Again, the general term urinary tract infection (UTI) does not define
where the infection originated.  Typical symptoms of a lower UTI (bladder) are frequency, burning, and urgency.  With more severe inflammation, blood may appear in the urine.  If bleeding occurs, one should seek consultation with a urologist to ensure that there are no other causes for the bleeding.  If the infection spreads from the bladder into the kidneys, the patient is much more ill and additionally exhibits flank (kidney) pain, fever and chills. Kidney infections (pyelonephritis) may also come from blockage of kidney drainage such as by stones among many other causes.  If untreated, kidney infections may then spread into the blood stream causing a life threatening disorder called septicemia.  This requires hospitalization, intravenous antibiotics and intensive care.  Most UTIs involve only the lower urinary tract (urethra and/or bladder).  A tentative diagnosis is made by doing a urinalysis which typically demonstrates white blood cells (“pus cells”) and bacteria.  Culturing the urine for bacteria provides a definitive diagnosis. Sensitivity studies are then done on the culture to determine which antibiotics will destroy the germ.  Most routine UTIs require 3-7 days of antibacterial therapy.  Some of the more common drugs used to treat UTIs include sulfas, tetracyclines, nitrofurantoin, fluoroquinolones, cephalosporins, and ampicillin. If the infections are frequent, long-term low dose prophylactic antibacterial therapy may be needed.  If one suffers a single kidney infection or multiple lower UTIs, urological investigation of the entire urinary tract is indicated to look for a correctable cause.  Good luck!t

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.