Urology/flomax

Question
I have enlarged prostate and  was urinating every30mminutes.for 2 months I have been taking Flomax and proscar,I no longer go every half hour and my strean is nuch approved,how nuch longer should I take Flomax/in afraid my prostate is used to Flomax and if I stop Flomax I wont be able to urinate.also does Flomax cause glomona, howard

Answer
Howard:

YOu should take the flomax until your physician says you no longer need to.  The proscar will shrink the prostate, but it takes about 9 months.  At that time, it may be reasonable to try and stop flomax to see if it is still required.  If urination deteriorates off of the flomax, then it should be continued.  If no difference is noted, then you may be able to stop the flomax at that point.

Flomax does not cause glaucoma, but it can cause something else called floppy iris syndrome which can be an issue if you need cataract surgery.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD