dr leslie,I have been taking Flomax and proscar for 6 months.it seems to be working I am urinating less.my urologist said when I want to stop Flomax just stop.after taking Flomax for 6 months is the prostate used to Flomax,when people stop do they usually have no problem urinating

Proscar acts to shrink the prostate.  After 6-9 months, the prostate may have shrunk enough that the flomax is no longer needed.  If so, then temporarily stopping it will quickly determine if you still need to take it or not.  As the prostate may again grow in the future even with proscar, you may need to go back on the flomax at some future point.

If you were not on the proscar, then stopping the flomax would not be possible without returning to your previous condition.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute