Urology/Heaviness in Uretha

Hello, Dr. Leslie;
Thank you for volunteering for this service.

I am a 59 yo white male in good physical condition.  I had my annual physical in June, which included a digital prostate exam as well as PSA level check in the blood sample - all results were good.

I have recently been experience a heaviness in the uretha.  I looked on a search engine, and all references that I found are to having the heaviness coupled with pain or stinging.  I have no pain whatsoever. I feel that it may be the start of an infection, but wanted to know what your opinion might be.  I understand that without an exam it may be difficult, but if your experience could help with this, I would appreciate your thoughts.   Thanks much!

In all honesty, I have not had anyone in over 30 years ask me about isolated "heaviness" in the urethra.  However, if I did, my first impression would be an early infection of the urethra or prostate.  Try sitting in a hot tub for 10 minutes twice a day.  This sometimes helps.  If this is not successful, contact your local physician or consult a urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute