Urology/Klebsiella pneumoniea uti

Could you please help me? I developed a uti about a month ago. The urine has grown out k. Pneumoniea on 2 cultures and a sensitivity test showed it was sensitive to macrobid. I have been on it for. 3 weeks now and I am still having frequency and urgency. Why am I not getting better? The urologist says that klebsiella is hard to get rid of but off the sensitivity test showed that macrobid would kill it then why am I not getting better? My urologist wants me to take 1 a day for 3 weeks of macrobid and come back. Could I please get your opinion?

Thank you.

There are several possibilities.  First, that there is a underlying focus of infection such as a stone that is continuing to reinfect the system. It is also possible that the infection is gone but the inflammation from it remains that would continue to cause some symptoms. Another possibility is that there is tissue involvement and macrobid does not give good tissue levels.  If the current urine culture still shows klebsiella, the antibiotics should be changed and perhaps an x-ray done to check for possible stones that could be responsible.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute