Urology/Klebsiella pneumoniea uti

Question
Hello

Could you please help me? I developed a uti about a month ago. The urine has grown out k. Pneumoniea on 2 cultures and a sensitivity test showed it was sensitive to macrobid. I have been on it for. 3 weeks now and I am still having frequency and urgency. Why am I not getting better? The urologist says that klebsiella is hard to get rid of but off the sensitivity test showed that macrobid would kill it then why am I not getting better? My urologist wants me to take 1 a day for 3 weeks of macrobid and come back. Could I please get your opinion?

Thank you.

Answer
Meg:

There are several possibilities.  First, that there is a underlying focus of infection such as a stone that is continuing to reinfect the system. It is also possible that the infection is gone but the inflammation from it remains that would continue to cause some symptoms. Another possibility is that there is tissue involvement and macrobid does not give good tissue levels.  If the current urine culture still shows klebsiella, the antibiotics should be changed and perhaps an x-ray done to check for possible stones that could be responsible.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD