You are here:

Urology/Penis curvature and treatment of it with Andropenis penis extender.


Dear Dr Leslie,

I have a penis which is facing upwards when it is erected, but I do not know how many degrees is my curvature. Anyway, I bought Andropenis penis extender to correct this upwards bending, BUT and here comes my question I am not sure if when my penis is attached to the device should face downwards or upwards. The manual of andropenis device states "The device must  be worn towards the opposite side of the curvature".
Do you agree with that? I want to be sure which direction should face the extender when I use it because I do not want to cause more harm (raising curvature degrees) instead of good.

Simultaneously, I use 1000 mg l arginine and 1000 mg l- carnitine everyday.

I wait for your answer with great anxiety!

Best regards,

God bless you


Jim, I have no personal experience with the use of the Andropenis extender being used for penile curvature.  However, I do have experience with the use of this and similar devices being used for penile enhancement and lengthening.  I have seen many cases of numbness of the penis from their use due to bruising of the sensory nerves of the penis.  On stopping the use of the device, it usually heals but may take up to a year or more to resolve.  Therefore, I do no recommend their use.

To answer your specific question, if your penis curves upward, you would put the device on so that the traction causes the penis to bend downward.  To follow, is some information I have written on penile curvature that may be of use to you.

The normal anatomy of the penis consists of 3 cylindrical bodies.  The paired corpora cavernosa (erectile bodies) are spongy vascular spaces and each is surrounded by a thick membrane termed the tunica albuginea.  The corpora cavernosa become engorged with arterial blood during sexual arousal, stretching the membrane that surrounds them (tunica albuginea).  Although there are also corporal veins that tend to drain blood away from the corpora, in normal erections the pressure in inside the erectile bodies increases because of limited "give" of the tunica albuginea.  Thus arterial inflow of blood exceeds venous outflow and erection occurs.  The third cylindrical body is the single corpus spongiosum which contains the urinary canal (urethra) and terminates in the glans penis.  The glans penis caps the distal end of the corpora cavernosa.  The corpus spongiosum also has an arterial and venous blood supply.  However, it is not surrounded by a limiting membrane (tunica albuginea) and, therefore, although it becomes somewhat engorged with erection, the degree that it contributes to overall tumescence is quite variable.  

Curvature of the penis to varying degrees occurs in about 50% of men.  It is often congenital (born with the condition) but can be acquired due to injury or a disorder called Peyronie's disease. Curvature can be due to one of the corpora being shorter than the other or to the deposition of scar tissue in part of the tunica albuginea which acts like a bow string and prevents this area from expanding.  I suggest that you see a urologist  so that a proper examination and diagnosis be made.  Generally, no treatment is necessary unless the curvature causes discomfort to you or your partner with sexual activity or if the curvature is so severe that you are unable to have conventional intercourse.  I know of no successful conservative treatment if the problem is due to scarring from injury.   The most common therapy is surgical correction which can either be done by slightly foreshortening the corpora on the side opposite the scarring (plication) or removing the scar tissue and placing a graft at that site.  The latter is not as reliable as it heals with a varying degree of scar that is difficult to estimate and may not correct the problem.  Generally, surgery is not done purely for cosmetic reasons.  Therefore, if you otherwise function well sexually, an understanding partner is the best therapy.  Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.


Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.


I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2017 All rights reserved.