Urology/Possible erectile dysfunction?

Question
Hello Dr. Leslie.

I have a few symptoms that I'm worried could be signs of erectile dysfunction or venous leakage etc.

I have never had a morning erection that I can think of. I can get an erection and I can have sexual intercourse but only with consistent physical stimulation from myself or from a partner. Once physical stimulation stops, my erection will usually go away rather quickly. This is not always the case though, there have been some sexual encounters where I have been able to switch positions and maintain an erection but it is quite rare. This has been the case as long as I can remember.

My question is, is a lack of morning erections a reason for concern? and is the inability to have or maintain an erection with out consistent stimulation a sign of erectile dysfunction or venous leakage? If it is erectile dysfunction, would it more likely be due to physiological or psychological causes or both?

Answer
Nathan

Technically, this is not ED since you can get erections and have intercourse.   But you may still benefit from a trial of Viagra.  Lack of morning erections is not. conclusivs.  Impossible to tell if this is physical or psychological,but probably not venous leak.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD