Urology/post lithotripsy

after I awoke from lithotripsy and thru recovery they had me pee before I could leave. I passed some blood and a little urine. That was the last time I have been able to urinate on my own. After I got home I tried to urinate but the pain in my kidney was so intense. The local emergency room put a catheter in me. After 6 days I had it removed so hopefully I could urinate on my own. But no. As I pushed, it felt like a bladder infection then the pain in my kidney returned. I am getting the stent removed tomorrow. Could that thing have dislodged right after the surgery?

It's possible but unlikely the stent moved.  Problems with urination after surgery that were not present prior to the surgery are usually the result of the anesthetic.  Most of the time, these resolve with time.  In this case, removal of the stent should help.

Also, talk to your physician about the pros and cons of 24 hour urine testing to identify the chemical causes of your stones.  Once this is known, specific remedies are available to help reduce the incidence of new stone formation in the future.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute