Urology/prostatites and it antibiotic

Question
Dear Dr  Leslie
,
I have been suffering from prostatitis after treatment to remove the bladder stone .I was on ciprofloxacin for 12 days, but I had a severe pain in my joints .However, they put me on Trimethoprim for last 6 days .The
Ciprofloxacin nearly cured the problem, but since I have been on Trimethoprim 200mg twice daily my condition is getting as before nagging pain in penis, lower back ,lower stomach ,just above bladder pain ect .
Q1)- I am on Trimethoprim 200mg x2 daily, is this antibiotic same as  trimethoprim- sufamethoxazole. Because my tablets information does not mention sufamethoxazole .I was wondering if I have been treated with the incorrect antibiotic for prostatitis ??
Q2) - Please what other medication you would recommend in replacement of trimethoprim. As such ,this antibiotic seems not working as good as ciprofloxacin
I am most grateful for your kind answers
Regards
Essi

Answer
Essi:

Trimethoprim is NOT the same as trimethoprim/sulfa.  Since the sulfa portion does not penetrate the prostate, it is not necessary for the treatment of prostatitis.  Antibiotic treatment for prostatitis can take at least 6 weeks and often longer.

It would be nice to go back to the cipro class of drugs since they worked well.  Perhaps you could try levofloxacin.  It's chemically a little different from cipro but still works well in prostatitis and is in the same class.

If not, we can also try doxycycline, a tetracycline.  This has also worked in prostatitis.

Bladder stones often indicate prostate enlargement.  If this is an issue, you might benefit from a medication like tamsulosin that improves urinary flow in men.  Also try some hot sitz baths and avoid caffeine/hot spices as they can worsen prostatitis symptoms.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD