Urology/Tethered cord

Question
Hi I have talked with you in the past. I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder. I had cathedral for a year then I stopped and pushed on my bladder. I eventually had a pacemaker put in and I was able to pee with no problem. My old urologist thought I could have a tethered cord. She did an MRI on my spine where I payed flat and then got up and laid on my stomach. It showed nothing. She swore she seen this 3 times in New York. She said the 3 patients did not have any evidence of it and they cut them open and found it. I am stuck with daily lower back pain chronic abdomen pain. My stomach spasms and my stomach spasms everyday all day. My new urologist swears it is a nerve disorder not sure if it could be the spinal cord. I am stuck with this and no one wants to do further nerve testing besides an MRI. That's all they want to do. Their has to be other test they can do. What is your opinion. I was at the mayo clinic they did nothing for me. A top rated hospital could find nothing. I went through most of the departments. Urologist Gi doctor Neurology I had trigger point injections that took the pain away for a day that was it. I has no abdominal pain for 1 whole day. I also seen a hematology to. The urologist at mayo goes their is nothing wrong with you I could not pee at all. So I got a very good doctor here and he took care of me and I thank him every time I visit him since he changed my life after 6 years of not being able to pee. Thanks.

Answer
Sean:

If the MRI did not show a tethered cord, then it is unlikely (but not impossible) that you have this.  A bladder pacemaker is reasonable in difficult/complicated cases that do not respond to other treatments.  The fact that it worked well for you suggests that there is an underlying neurogenic problem.  The other problems may or may not be related.  The pacemaker only affects bladder function so it won't help the other problems.  As far as testing for other nerve problems, you'll need to ask neurology.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD