Urology/bladder leakage

QUESTION: I am a 64 year old female. 6 month ago I was put on Prolia as my bone density test showed osteoporosis. I have since developed sever tingling in both legs, both arms, I am always cold and most recently withing the last 6 weeks a leakage problem. This problem came on all of a sudden. It wasn't something that started when I coughed, I just one day started leaking. Could this be a side effect from the Prolia? I am due to have another shot on January 20th and I'm not sure I should have it. I've just have a Uro-dynamic test which showed nothing is physically wrong.

Thanking you in advance for any info you can give.

ANSWER: Virginia:

Prolia is a significant drug that is designed to increase bone density.  It needs to be taken with extra calcium (usually calcium citrate) and vitamin D.  In a recent review, peripheral neuropathy was not one of the more commonly identified side effects and certainly not incontinence.  There is an increased risk of urinary infections, however.

On Dec, 25, 2014: 5,800 people reported side effects when taking Prolia. Among them, 1 person (0.02%) has Peripheral Neuropathy.

QUESTION: Can peripheral neuropathy be caused by topiramate? I have been on this drug for migraines for the last 4 or 5 years. I know this is not one of your specialties, but I thought I would ask.

Topiramate has a long list of potential problems including kidney stones.  Although peripheral neuropathy is not listed as a common side effect, tingling is.  You'll need to check with your pharmacist and physician about your individual situation.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute