Urology/blood clots in urine

Hi Dr. Leslie

Do blood clots originate in the kidneys or bladder?  I have been experiencing gross hematuria for about 7 weeks, but over the two weeks have experienced significant clots in the urine stream.  I have had radiation in the past (following uterine CA surgery) and read that it is possibly from that although many years have passed since my surgery.  I made an appointment with a urologist, but about 3 days before my appointment, everything just stopped (kind of like a light switch being turned off),replaced by an odd abdominal cramp.  I cancelled the appointment as the bleeding had apparently resolved.  Just yesterday, the hematuria returned as did the clots.  I have made a new appointment but that is about 3 1/2 weeks away.  What makes the clots happen?

thank you

Blood clots in the urinary system can develop anywhere.  Most of the time, they arise in the bladder.  Since you've had radiation therapy, a likely cause might be radiation cystitis but all the other possibly causes need to be checked as well such as stones, infections, polyps and tumors.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute