Urology/blood clots in urine

Question
Hi Dr. Leslie

Do blood clots originate in the kidneys or bladder?  I have been experiencing gross hematuria for about 7 weeks, but over the two weeks have experienced significant clots in the urine stream.  I have had radiation in the past (following uterine CA surgery) and read that it is possibly from that although many years have passed since my surgery.  I made an appointment with a urologist, but about 3 days before my appointment, everything just stopped (kind of like a light switch being turned off),replaced by an odd abdominal cramp.  I cancelled the appointment as the bleeding had apparently resolved.  Just yesterday, the hematuria returned as did the clots.  I have made a new appointment but that is about 3 1/2 weeks away.  What makes the clots happen?

thank you

andey

Answer
Andey:

Blood clots in the urinary system can develop anywhere.  Most of the time, they arise in the bladder.  Since you've had radiation therapy, a likely cause might be radiation cystitis but all the other possibly causes need to be checked as well such as stones, infections, polyps and tumors.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD