Urology/Blood vessel at end of penis

Question
Since I was a young boy I have had two small dark purple dots at the end of my penis.  I think they came about after an injury as a small boy.  I have always assumed that they were from a ruptured/injured blood vessel at that spot.  Now I am 49 and the spots appear to be growing at times and I am worried that the vessel ruptures when I have an erection.  Is this cause for concern? Is this common?

Answer
Joe:

Without actually seeing it, it's impossible to give any reliable advice.  But I can make a few generalizations.

In general, skin lesions or discolorations that have been present for many decades are unlikely to develop into anything dangerous.

Erections don't actually stretch the head or end of the penis which is designed to stay soft to prevent injury to the partner.  (This is something that is not well known by the lay public, but it makes sense.)

Even if a lesion did rupture and bleed, which is unlikely as it would have done so already, there wouldn't be much we could do about it anyway.

If you still think this is an issue, please talk to your local phyisician or consult a local urologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD