Urology/Blood vessel at end of penis

Since I was a young boy I have had two small dark purple dots at the end of my penis.  I think they came about after an injury as a small boy.  I have always assumed that they were from a ruptured/injured blood vessel at that spot.  Now I am 49 and the spots appear to be growing at times and I am worried that the vessel ruptures when I have an erection.  Is this cause for concern? Is this common?

Without actually seeing it, it's impossible to give any reliable advice.  But I can make a few generalizations.

In general, skin lesions or discolorations that have been present for many decades are unlikely to develop into anything dangerous.

Erections don't actually stretch the head or end of the penis which is designed to stay soft to prevent injury to the partner.  (This is something that is not well known by the lay public, but it makes sense.)

Even if a lesion did rupture and bleed, which is unlikely as it would have done so already, there wouldn't be much we could do about it anyway.

If you still think this is an issue, please talk to your local phyisician or consult a local urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute