Urology/cacatheres

Question
finally went to urologist that helped me.he told me to self catherize myself with type of catherer you remove once you urinate.if you are urinating fairly good can you self-cathere onca a day.i gather infection rate is not too high with this type of catherer.it sure beats surgery with all my problems

Answer
Howard:

Self catheterization is one way to deal with certain types of urinary problems.  While it avoids surgery, it is not suitable for all types of problems.  It can help get the bladder completely empty intermittently and this is sufficient for many situations where surgery either will not help or may be too dangerous.

Timing of the catheterization depends on the underlying problem.  If you are unable to urinate at all, then catheterization once a day is obviously insufficient.  As a general rule, we usually recommend self catheterization 4 times a day when patients have urinary problems that are not too severe but require more treatment than can be given with medications alone.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD