finally went to urologist that helped me.he told me to self catherize myself with type of catherer you remove once you urinate.if you are urinating fairly good can you self-cathere onca a day.i gather infection rate is not too high with this type of sure beats surgery with all my problems

Self catheterization is one way to deal with certain types of urinary problems.  While it avoids surgery, it is not suitable for all types of problems.  It can help get the bladder completely empty intermittently and this is sufficient for many situations where surgery either will not help or may be too dangerous.

Timing of the catheterization depends on the underlying problem.  If you are unable to urinate at all, then catheterization once a day is obviously insufficient.  As a general rule, we usually recommend self catheterization 4 times a day when patients have urinary problems that are not too severe but require more treatment than can be given with medications alone.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute