Urology/lactulose

Question
QUESTION: any harm to kidneys or other organs taking lactulose solution twice a week for constipation

ANSWER: Howard:

No known significant harm to the kidneys.

QUESTION: dr leslie/there is a chance I may have proistate cancer.i am taking proscar which has testozerem in it that cancer f feed on.am I better off taking another pill that shrinks prostate that has no testoserem/excuse spelling

Answer
Howard:

Finasteride does not contain testosterone and does not cause prostate cancer.  There is another medication that does pretty much the same thing as finasteride that is called dutasteride (Avodart) but neither of these drugs contain any testosterone.  They are designed to shrink the prostate by blocking the conversion of testosterone to the more active dihydrotestosterone but only inside prostate cells.  This blockage causes prostate cells to grow more slowly and even shrink.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD