QUESTION: any harm to kidneys or other organs taking lactulose solution twice a week for constipation

ANSWER: Howard:

No known significant harm to the kidneys.

QUESTION: dr leslie/there is a chance I may have proistate cancer.i am taking proscar which has testozerem in it that cancer f feed I better off taking another pill that shrinks prostate that has no testoserem/excuse spelling

Finasteride does not contain testosterone and does not cause prostate cancer.  There is another medication that does pretty much the same thing as finasteride that is called dutasteride (Avodart) but neither of these drugs contain any testosterone.  They are designed to shrink the prostate by blocking the conversion of testosterone to the more active dihydrotestosterone but only inside prostate cells.  This blockage causes prostate cells to grow more slowly and even shrink.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute