Urology/Pain in testicles

Hello and thank you for your time and consideration.  I am a 29yr old Caucasian male who has been in a committed, monogamous relationship with the same woman for the past 4yrs and have not been sexually permiscuous during that time.  I am employed as a residential direct support professional and my girlfriend is as well, but with a different company. Just starting within the past few months, I have been experiencing moderate to severe ranging pain, mostly in my left testicle. This pain comes on seemingly randomly and has lasted for a few hours at the longest so far, and 30mins at the shortest so far. The pain seems to occur every few days and is very random and sporadic in terms of when or why. The pain feels as if I have been intensely struck in the testicles, to the point where it is difficult to walk, sit down, or make any sort of contact because the testicle is so tender. The tenderness/sensitivity is sometimes accompanied by a tension in my left side groin area, and upon visual examination, the left testicle is pulled up higher in my scrotum, sometimes initially joined by the right testicle. The tube above holding the left testicle, will feel hard or swollen up through my groin, but only when in discomfort or pain. It has been difficult to surely tell, but sometimes i think my scrotum is swollen, and sometimes I think my left testicle seems swollen, but not to a significant enough degree by which I can be certain. Also I sometimes think my left testicle feels warm, but again not to a degree by which I feel certain it's not my imagination playing tricks on my senses. Both testicles in a majority of instances, but not all, will initially feel painfully sensitive, but my right testicle will stop feeling painful before my left does, is at times pulled up in my scrotum, and also feels like the tube holding it from above is swollen, but only briefly and always improves before my left testicle will. When the pain goes away, and so far it has each time, I have absolutely no symptoms and everything feels fine. My urine stream seems to be normal, maybe a bit darker. I am showing signs of mild dehydration, especially with my skin due to lack of H2O intake, which I am currently and consciously improving upon. For the sake of giving thorough details, currently have an ingrown hair on the upper left side of my pubic hair area that just appeared yesterday, and for the first time since I've been experiencing these symptoms. My girlfriend and I plan to be married and start a family in the near future, so these occurrences are beginning to worry us. Any idea what my condition may be? Is this an emergency?  Will this effect my ability to start a family of my own? Again, I sincerely thank you for your time and consideration regarding this personal matter....

Given the sporadic nature and the severity of the pain, the most likely cause would be an intermittent torsion.  This occurs when the testicle twists in place which blocks the blood supply and causes severe pain.  Then it untwists and things go back to normal.  Consult a local urologist to see if this is indeed your problem.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute