Urology/Prostate Fluid

Question
I have noticed that I will sometimes leak prostate fluid immediately after urination and sometimes during a bowel movement.  I assume that this is because of congestive prostatitis. My question - is there sperm in this fluid?  Are the ejaculatory ducts open at the time thus creating semen, or do the ducts remain closed because Iím not ejaculating and Iím leaking prostate fluid only?

Answer
Tom, the leakage of prostatic fluid at the end of urination or with a BM are typical symptoms of congestion of the prostate gland.  There usually are no sperm in the prostatic fluid discharge but, on occasion, there may be.  During sexual arousal the prostate gland & seminal vesicles manufacture fluid that account for the majority of the semen. The seminal vesicles are paired structures located behind the prostate gland that are also sensitive to sexual excitement.  Sperm from the testicles (which account for only 1-2 % of the semen) travel up a series of tubes (epididymis and vas deferens) on each side to join the seminal vesicles forming the paired ejaculatory ducts.  These structures empty into the prostatic portion of the urethra.  At the time of ejaculation, fluid is discharged from the prostate gland and ejaculatory ducts into the urethra (urinary canal) forming the semen.  The average semen volume is 2-6 cc.  With the inception of ejaculation, the bladder neck closes and the semen is forced forward out the urethra by contraction of the pelvic muscles.  

The ejaculatory ducts have no sphincter in them and they merely are a passive conduit for fluid.  As they are formed by the union of the vas deferens and duct of the seminal vesicles, sperm have the opportunity to leak into the prostatic urethra.  If this occurs, it generally is only only very small numbers.  Good luck.

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.