Urology/Cystoscopy

Question
Hello,

Next Friday I am scheduled for a Cystoscopy.  I am 57 years old.  The reason the Urologist wants to have the procedure done is that my urine flow is somewhat weak (I had a uroflowmetry done) and I have a small problem getting started.  Other than that, there is no blood in my urine and I have no back pain.  I was on Avodart for several years and now I am on Flomax.  I've been on Flomax for about a month now.  

I am really concerned the Dr will find bladder cancer.  The Dr said the more likely finding will be a blockage and/or an enlarged prostate.  I need some perspective on this so I can stop stressing what the test will show.

Thank you,
John

Answer
John

It is reasonable and appropriate to do a cystoscopy when urinary flow is diminished and medications no longer help enough. The likelihood of a bladder cancer without blood in the urine is very low.  Even if it were found, it is usually removed quite easily. Of more concern would be having such a cancer and not knowing about it. Then it can become dangerous.

Think of it like checking the oil in your car. You do not expect a problem but you check anyway.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD