Urology/frequent urination

Question
QUESTION: you said in pryor e-mail that frequent urination does not harm kidneys or bladder/only if prostate becomes obstruction.i urinate every hour due  to bph.am I correct if I had obstruction I would have less urine coming out.could frequent urination for over a year lead to obstruction

ANSWER: Howard:

In the presence of prostate obstruction, you may or may not have less urine coming out but the stream would probably be weaker.  Frequent urination for a year doesn't lead to obstruction but obstruction can lead to frequency.

So have this checked out by a local urologist.

QUESTION: will urinating every hour from enlarged prostate wash out bacteria and prevent infection/there will be no damage to kidneys or bladder from frequent urination unless obstruction which should make you urinate less

Answer
Howard

You have it backwards. When you have prostate enlargement, you can have a variety of symptoms including frequency and the bladder is more.prone to inflection from incomplete emptying.  Large urine volumes and frequent bladder emptying would otherwise be helpful as you suggested.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD