Urology/frequent urination

QUESTION: you said in pryor e-mail that frequent urination does not harm kidneys or bladder/only if prostate becomes obstruction.i urinate every hour due  to I correct if I had obstruction I would have less urine coming out.could frequent urination for over a year lead to obstruction

ANSWER: Howard:

In the presence of prostate obstruction, you may or may not have less urine coming out but the stream would probably be weaker.  Frequent urination for a year doesn't lead to obstruction but obstruction can lead to frequency.

So have this checked out by a local urologist.

QUESTION: will urinating every hour from enlarged prostate wash out bacteria and prevent infection/there will be no damage to kidneys or bladder from frequent urination unless obstruction which should make you urinate less

You have it backwards. When you have prostate enlargement, you can have a variety of symptoms including frequency and the bladder is more.prone to inflection from incomplete emptying.  Large urine volumes and frequent bladder emptying would otherwise be helpful as you suggested.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute