Urology/Hematospermia

Question
QUESTION: Dr.
I'm 58 and back in April of this year, I noticed I had blood in my semen after an ejaculation.  I immediately started taking food grade H2O2 and it seemed to go away for a few weeks.  Then it came back and I went to a urologist and got on Cipro for 3 weeks.  With a little abstinence, that seemed to work for about 6 weeks, then it came back again.  So in Aug, the doctor prescribed Cipro for 6 more weeks.  At first it seemed to work, but then in the 5th week, after an ejaculation, I got so ill and feverish that I was up all night tossing and turning. So I did some research online and read an article that Cipro was not good to take for body builders, which I was years ago.  After consulting with the doctor he told me to get off the meds, which I did immediately.  Then I went on a 30 day abstinence and after 1 week I felt remarkably better.  It was a night and day difference in how I felt.  Just the other night, after 4 weeks of abstinence I had an ejaculation and noticed that the volume was good but there was a slight discoloration still.  I wasn't sure if I was healed so I wanted to see if I had a problem still and sure enough, I found bright blood in my semen. I don't know what to make of this.  

You should know that my doctor checked my prostate and he did lab work for both urine and semen, and both came back negative.  So now I'm at a loss on what my issues could be. It sounds and feels like I still an inflammation somewhere because the only thing that helps seems to be abstaining.  Also I was diagnosed with epididymitis and BPH years ago but I don't know what's going on now.
Question:  Would ibuprofen help at all? Or what do you suggest I should do?

ANSWER: Jerry

Ibuprofen will almost certainly make things worse as it promotes bleeding.

Most cases of hematospermia go away on their own; like a nosebleed.

If this continues, you should get another urology opinion possibly from a university center.

QUESTION: I live in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. I pay cash for my visits.  Could you recommend a location I can go to? What University and who do I call?
Thank you,
Jerry

Answer
Jerry:

The top ranked medical centers in Los Angeles are Cedars-Sinai, UCLA and Keck USC.  I have no idea where they are located relative to you.  Contact the nearest center and ask for a list of urology clinics or affiliated urologists who may be near to your location.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD