Urology/hematuria

Question
During my yearly physical, my urine tests came back with some concerns. The main was microscopic hematuria. There was also a little protien and slightly elevated calcium oxalte (?) whatever it is that shows possible stones. Anyway, I had a KUB xray, a renal ultrasound and a cyctoscope. All came back negative. The Dr told me to just come back in 6 months. Not sure what the plan is. Is this standard? I have a dull ache that comes and goes in my left flank, right where my kidney is. I had this same ache about 13 years ago and had a IVP done and it was negative also. Should I just wait the 6 months or should I have other tests done? Dr said they didn't check for more blood as once it's found that means some type of problem. Also, no infection.
Thanks

Answer
Victoria:

You had a full evaluation for hematuria that did not show anything.  That is quite common.  The result of the tests indicate no significant tumors, cancers or stones.  The exact source of the microscopic blood could not be determined.  Your pain may or may not have anything to do with the kidneys.  If your physicians think its likely, they may ask for some more x-rays such as an IVP to look further into it.  The IVP you had was negative, however.

The presence of calcium oxalate crystals in the urine just means that conditions are right for possibly making a stone which you did not do.

Your physicians have done what they reasonably need to and have not found a problem.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD