You are here:

Urology/Kidney stone


Hi doctor, I have been detected with a 6 mm kidney stone in he upper 1/3rd of my right ureter.i had a pain about five days back due o which Owens for sonography and X-ray n found about it.i have consulted three urologists in India and out of these two say I need to get it removed using ureteroscopy. But I want o know if there is a slight possibility that it can be treated through medicines.i do not have pain anymore.also no problem in urination.


While the stone most likely cannot be dissolved, medication can help it to pass. However, it is large enough that it will.probably get stuck again and cause.more pain so we usually recommend surgery for stones of that size in the proximal ireter. !Ask about ESWL treatment instead of ureteroscopy; both are reasonable in this case.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.