Urology/Had second orchiectomy, concerned about future

Hello Doctor,

I am a 35 year old male. When I was 22, I had to have my right testicle removed due to cancer. Recently, my doctor discovered gave me the news that I am one of the few unlucky men that develop cancer in the second testicle. So, unfortunately, I have now had both removed.

Obviously, I am concerned about the future at this point. I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of life I can expect with regard to sex life, physique, etc. What kind of supplements will I need to take? I am very active physically with weight lifting and other sports and would like to maintain that lifestyle if at all possible.

You don't need to sugarcoat things. I'd prefer to know what my reality is going to be like now. Thank you Doctor.

With no testicles remaining, you will not make sperm or testosterone.  The testosterone can be supplemented with shots, creams or gels.  The sperm is another issue.  You will not be able to have children or create a pregnancy, but your sexual function will be normal if you receive a testosterone supplement.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute